Good to know when traveling to and in and Sweden

Passport and Visa regulations

UK and US residents do not need a visa to travel to Sweden. Make sure your passport is valid throughout the stay. 
EU citizens have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without having a residence permit. You'll need a valid national identity card or passport.
If you are visiting Sweden as a tourist and are a citizen of a non-EU country, you may need a visa. Read more


There are no vaccinations needed to enter Sweden but it's always good to consult your physician or local health department before leaving.


Despite being a part of the EU, Sweden does not use the euro. Sweden uses the Swedish Krona. Bank notes are printed in values of 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1,000 kronor. The coin is available as 1, 2, 5 and 10 kronor. Sweden is probably the most cashless society on the planet. Many banks, shops, museums and restaurants are cash free and only accept plastic or mobile payments. Major credit cards (some restriction may apply to American Express) are widely accepted throughout Sweden and you can get cash with your Visa, MasterCard, Maestro or Cirrus card at any “Bankomat” or “Uttagsautomat” ATM. A small fee can be added for your withdrawal, depending on your banks terms. There is often ATM's available directly at the airport. You can also go to a money exchange office likeForex or another currency exchange office.


Tipping in Sweden is always welcome but not expected. At restaurants it is common to round up to the nearest big number. (if your bill comes to 370 SEK, you can round up to 400 SEK). However, if you choose not to leave a tip, it’s unlikely anyone will be offended. Sometimes a service charge is included in the bill. Giving a couple of kronor extra is a nice way of saying thanks for friendly service. A nice tip is to add 10% of the final bill. Tipping for special services provided by hotel staff is fine, but is not expected and is simply a matter of personal taste. Taxi drivers can be given a few extra kronor. Porters and cloakroom attendants often charge fixed fees. Doormen at hotels and restaurants are tipped modestly.

Swedish is the official language of Sweden, most people do speak English though.

Water in Sweden is safe to drink and drinking straight from the tap is normal. But bottled water is also available everywhere.  

The Swedish Public Access to Nature “allemansrätten” is well-known and gives you a unique possibility to enjoy the fantastic and clean nature of Sweden. 

If you're interested in social drinking, be prepared. The State of Sweden has a monopoly in selling liquor stronger than 3.5%. The only place/shop where you can buy alcohol is at "Systembolaget ". The legal age to purchase liquor is 20 years old but a minimum of 18 years old to drink in a restaurant.